8.26.2017

BOOKED THIS WEEKEND with Ramona Blue by Julie Murphy

I took a little break from our BOOKED THIS WEEKEND to focus on all the summer stuff we were doing. Summer is a super crazy time at the library, but I still missed doing spotlights. So while I'm sad that summer is on its way out, I'm glad to be doing Booked again :)

So today, let me lay down some truth about Ramona Blue by Julie Murphy. Have you read this yet? Because you should.

Ashley and I read Ramona Blue for Forever Young Adult Book Group, and we both adored it.

Ramona Blue is the story of Ramona (who has some super intense blue hair, hence the title), a high school senior who believes her future is wrapped up in her family. Her mom left the family after Hurricane Katrina, her sister is pregnant, her dad works tirelessly to support them, and Ramona works two jobs because she believes her role in life is to take care of her sister. Ramona's life becomes incredibly confusing and complicated when she begins to fall in love with an old friend who just moved back into town. The problem with this? She's a lesbian, and the old friend is a guy.

Ramona Blue shows what it's like to question everything you've ever known about your life and yourself. Not only does Ramona's sexuality become a confusing question, but she also begins to wonder if she can have a future of her own apart from her family.

This is easily one of my favorite books for 2017 so far. Even though Ramona is confused, she's still passionate, resilient, and headstrong (maybe even too much for her own good).

After reading Ramona Blue, Ashley and I are really excited to read Dumplin', Julie Murphy's 2015 release. Murphy is a great writer and I'm excited to read more by her.



No comments:

Post a Comment